We asked our Nashville-based custom home building team for tips, and they delivered!
Shipping container homes are becoming increasingly popular in Nashville, thanks to their affordability and sustainability. However, decorating a shipping container home can be a challenge, as the space is often limited and the walls are made of metal.
Here are a few tips from our pros on decorating shipping container homes:
- Use light colors to brighten up the space. The metal walls of shipping container homes can make the space feel dark and cramped. To counteract this, use light colors on the walls and ceiling. This will help to make the space feel more open and airy.
- Add mirrors to reflect light and make the space feel larger. Mirrors are another great way to add light and depth to a small space. Hang mirrors on the walls or place them on furniture to reflect light and make the space feel larger.
- Use furniture with light legs to make the space appear taller. Furniture with heavy legs can make the space feel smaller than it is. To counteract this, use furniture with light legs, such as metal or glass. This will give the impression of more room in each room!
- Add plants to add color and life to the space. Plants are a great way to add color and vitality to any space. They can also help to purify the air and improve the overall feel of the home.
- Use rugs to define the space and add warmth. Rugs can help to define the space in a shipping container home and add a touch of warmth. Choose rugs that are made of light colors and materials, such as wool or cotton. There are many rug sellers around Nashville, so you have plenty of options!
- Use artwork to add personality and interest. Artwork is a great way to add personality and interest to any space. Choose artwork that reflects your style and interests.
- Be creative with your storage solutions. Storage can be a challenge in a shipping container home. Be creative with your storage solutions and use vertical space to your advantage. Shelves, cabinets, and drawers can all be used to store belongings. Ask your builder about adding built in options.
- Use natural materials. Natural materials, such as wood, stone, and bamboo, can help to warm up the space and make it feel more inviting.
- Add pops of color. Don’t be afraid to add pops of color to your shipping container home. This will help to break up the monotony of the metal walls and make the space feel more dynamic.
- Use furniture that is both functional and stylish. When choosing furniture for your shipping container home, make sure it is both functional and matches your sense of style. This will help to maximize the space and create a cohesive look.
- Be mindful of the scale of your furniture. The furniture in your shipping container home should be scaled to the size of the space. This will help to avoid making things feel cramped.
- Don’t forget about the outdoors. If your shipping container home has an outdoor space, be sure to make it your own as well. This can be a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
With a little creativity and planning, shipping container homes can easily be transformed into stylish and functional spaces that people in Nashville will love.
Providence Builder Group is a Nashville-based homebuilder and home renovation team that works closely with home and property owners wanting a truly customized space to call their own. From IFC construction to shipping container homes to historic home renovations, additions, and more, Providence Builder Group has the experience and expertise to complete projects of all sizes. The locally-owned company also offers custom, traditional homes and tornado shelters. Founded by Middle Tennessee native Will Barron, Providence Builder Group is the product of his dedication for his community and serves as a testament to what happens when hometown pride enters the construction industry.